Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Our own little sanctuary...


Just wanted to share some pics from this spring / summer at our new house. Every time something blooms it is a pleasant surprise since I have no idea what the previous owner planted.

I also love catching wildlife in the yard...I wish I had a good pic of our hawk or the giant turtle that came up to our deck during the last rain storm too, but these are a start.

These are the lily pads in bloom on our koi pond.


These were a surprise, I thought these plants that are also in the koi pond were just green reeds, and one morning there were all these gorgeous purple flowers!


Here is our favorite pond resident "Hoppy" the frog (so named by Gunner). He used to sit on this rock in the sun everyday until Gunner started coming to "say hi" ten times a day and scare him back into the water. Now he has picked a rock that is more hidden and we don't catch him out as often.
These didn't bloom long, but I just love all the azalea bushes, Virginia is known for them and they are everywhere you go for about 3 weeks in the spring. I loved this pink one in our back yard!

Some more azaleas in our front yard (you can also see our new siding and trim in this pic).


Here is the Blue Heron that wants to eat my koi, I wish the pic I took of him flying away turned out, his wing span is amazing!


One of our geese friends from the lake...not as big a fan of the goose poop they leave on our dock!!
I found this duck in our front yard and watched him get in the koi pond and swim around for a while.
I have no idea what this bush is, but the flowers are so cool.



This is another similar one, but even prettier because the leaves on the bush are white tipped. It is strange because there is this one random bush in the middle of a bunch of other things, it almost looks like it ended up there by divine accident.


Well, that is it, everytime I was done downloading pics something else would bloom, there are actually some gorgeous blood red lilies that bloomed this morning...but this gave a tiny glimpse of our little sanctuary and why I just love it here so much!

5 comments:

Boagie (Janice) said...

Wow, so beautiful! How lucky to enjoy someone else's hard labor. I like the frogs name...good choice Gunner :)

Amber said...

Gorgeous! What a great backyard!

Tracy said...

That's how I felt about my house in WA even though we didn't have any good landscaping. We still had a beautiful pond behind our house and gorgeous hydrangas (sp?) in the front and we'd have eagels, heron, ducks, and deer in our backyard. I'm so glad you're happy! Great pictures.

Leah said...

Carrie, it's lovely! I hope you don't mind, come February, me and the kids will be spending an exorbitant amount of time at your house I think...

Steph said...

Awesome! Do you just go sit outside and enjoy all of that beautiful nature?? I LOVE the water lilies. And that plant with the purplish flowers looks like some kind of hydrangea. The leaves look almost exactly like my hydrangea leaves, but the flowers are different.