I really should be uploading some pictures of some of the fun stuff we have been doing, but let's face it, you all are probably sick of "here is another picture of us at the beach" anyway...so instead I am going to do an entry about the realization I had tonight...I am completely, without a question, no longer cool in any way, shape or form.
I had this realization when I returned from "movie night" at my church with the boys. The committee I am on is trying to get more family programming off the ground, so I try to be at all events. I decided to go instead of attending the beginning of an enormous block party being held on my street in a neighbor's backyard.
I guess this would be the 1st indication to some that I am uncool, but I didn't really think so. It just didn't sound like fun to be trying to keep Hudson from burning down the place with the citronella candles, pulling beer out of the coolers, drinking whatever alcoholic beverage he found sitting around in a cup, or climbing whatever structure he could break another bone on...and he WOULD be doing all those things. In addition it would be no fun refereeing Gunner's tantrums when he imagines someone is trying to touch his CARS backpack (which he has to currently wear everywhere...sometimes IN his Spiderman costume). All this vigilance doesn't leave a lot of time for socializing with people I don't know...it is ok when there are a bunch of friends who understand when you have to stop 5 times mid-story to say "NO TOUCH" or "DON'T HIT YOUR BROTHER"...but not really a great way to meet new neighbors.
Ok, I digress...so we get home and the boys want to "say goodnight to Daddy" because I made the mistake of telling them he was at the rockin' party we just drove by. So I get Gunner to agree that he will forgo a bedtime story for this privilege, throw Hudson in stroller and head down there. I see several groups of people just walking in, freshly showered, makeup done, cute outfits on...and I realize this. I have not showered yet today, I am in a $15 sundress from the exchange, I have some dried-on, caked-on part of Hudson's dinner somewhere on the $15 dress, I have my hair in a ratty ponytail that hasn't been combed in hours AND I have not applied so much as lip gloss since noon.
It was then I realized...I am not cool anymore. I don't know when it happened, or how, but I have officially broken every rule I made when I decided to "settle down". I was NOT going to be one of those moms who let themselves go...I was going to do ALL the things I did before, looking fabulous, but with my perfectly dressed offspring in tow. WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED!? When did I go from being "Manhattan career woman" to "poorly dressed suburban housewife"...how did I become a stereotype!? I can't even claim any cool extracurricular activities, like triatholons, or fabulous Hawaii trips or playing on a soccer league...the coolest thing I do is my bookclub.
Well, at least I had cute sandals & painted toenails....I guess there are still one or two things that even motherhood hasn't been able to beat out of me. Anyway, my new rule is to find that smart, sassy girl I used to be and bring some of her back...with my kids in tow, who may not be perfectly dressed, but sure do look cute in costume!
Happy Birthday McLayne!
16 years ago


4 comments:
Oh Carrie I can totally picture this happening and your dawning realization of how you look compared to the other people around. I have been there so many times, I can't even tell you. Every time I'm around my sister-in-law, for example, because she is perfectly dressed, hair done, make up etc. ALL THE TIME!
Anyway, I just want you to know that I have never been cool. Never. So you are one up on me. And, I truly believe that even with your hair up, with dried food on a cheap dress you looked way more fabulous then any of those party goers.
I hope that is good news even coming from the never-been-cool, or can you only be cool again because another cool person says you are cool? ;) Wow, that is a lot of 'cool' in one sentence, I better quit while I'm ahead, or ummm, at least not too far behind.
YOU are the most "hip" and "cool" looking mom I know! Seriously, you are way too cute and fashionable to call yourself an ordinary housewife. I'll never forget all the playgroups you attended with heels. I was and still am impressed that you can walk in those while carrying a wriggly baby! Just remember no matter how "uncool" you feel/look your kids think you are beautiful!
Your post made me laugh though. Especially after reading your play by play of your sleepless night on facebook.
Ditto on Amber & Tracy's comments. I've only met you once, but I was very impressed with you. Reading your blogs makes me think I know you a little better and you are anything from plain & ordinary. (Can't believe you wore heels to playgroups; you are talented.) You have a beautiful family and you are the glue that holds it together with or without lipstick :)
I think you are pretty "COOL" or "HOT" whichever. I presonally love looking at all your pictures...just wish you were in more of them. (I know who runs the camera in your household.)
C, I see you ever morning at school drop off and know this not to be true. Sure we sometimes go without our showers or makeup, but I've never seen you in a pair of sweats (like many) at school or even when I'm coming over for a very needed glass of wine. You are always the one with some girly item on (or pink). You are the one that makes me want to get dressed before chugging out the door in the morning!! You are cool to me, but I think you already knew that:) Maybe we just need a shopping spree for cute throw on dresses and adorable beach sandals - sounds good to me!
Post a Comment