This post is inspired by the wonderful dance party video that Leah posted...I thought I would share my own story. When Lenny works late, which is a lot at this job; the time between afternoon nap and
bath time is full of whining and general crankiness. So I was trying to come up with a way to calm the savage beasts that my children would become. I came up with "After dinner dance party". If they eat their vegetables, and are generally not surly at the dinner table, I put on some "big people" music when they are done, and we all dance around like crazy people for a few minutes to blow off steam (in hindsight I am lucky no one has thrown up their dinner). We do a different artist and a different genre of music each night (i.e. The Clash, The Beach Boys) and Gunner tries to "find the beat" in the music...although honestly I think that Hudson is the one with the natural rhythm. So far Gunner's favorites are
ABBA's "Dancing Queen", and Madonna's "Beat goes on"....yesterday I caught him singing "Come on, beep, beep, gotta get up onto your feet...on and on, on the beat goes". I guess I need to pick some masculine music for our next session! At least it works, we are all generally laughing by the end of the song.
4 comments:
I love, love, love this idea! I would love to see a video of this dance party!
That's great Carrie! This is something I started doing as well when Ethan was just 6 months old in Whidbey. You know it got dark at 4:30 and just waiting for Seth to get home was almost painful on most days. So I would put on Laurie Berkner's Buzz Buzz CD (the same songs every evening) and just dance with him. Though we don't do it every night anymore, it is certainly a very effective way of working out the evening grumps. Get them on video so you can treasure the fun!
I agree! Great idea! I too would flip on the Laurie Berkner band and we would chase each other around the coffee table to the song "I'm gonna catch you. You'd better run." I also love your new picture. I can't believe they both wore a tie without complaining. That would never happen here. Way too cute!!!!!
What a great idea; I also would love to see a video. Nice idea giving the boys different music nightly to culture their souls.
Post a Comment