Friday, March 6, 2009

Why aren't my eating habits this good?

Ok, this is a post about nothing exciting...but I find my children's eating habits hysterical. Now, before this post makes me sound self righteous, let me just say that Hudson will eat any sweet put in front of him, gobbles up french fries like they are going to be stolen from him, and the only fruit he will eat is bananas (although he eats up broccoli, squash, sweet potatoes, peas etc....he defies all reason really)...so clearly my "healthy eating" rules haven't caught on with him as strongly as Gunner.

As far as Gunner is concerned, I want to start a new diet craze with what he eats, because if we all ate like him than we would be the healthiest people on the planet. He is so into healthy foods, that we have a situation when I take him to kid's birthday parties. I generally bring a healthy snack in my purse to sneak him, or feed him b-4 the party because otherwise he won't eat anything (and a hungry tantrum isn't any fun). We were at one party and he surveyed the white bread & processed frozen chicken and informed me "I want grapes"..."they don't have any fruit out"..."I want carrots and ranch dressing".."they don't have that..what about a cupcake?"..."I don't LIKE cupcakes!". Sometimes he likes the idea of cupcakes, because the other kids get excited, then he tastes a bite, and informs me "I don't like this" (not always appreciated by the host of the party I am sure). He asks for my whole wheat, carrot, banana muffins for his birthdays when given the choice between that and cupcakes (no worries, I still make a cake for the rest of us).

He went to a "party" last night at his friend Michael's house, and they gave him a party favor of a bag of candy (that didn't make me v. happy by the way..what is Hudson going to do w/ a bag of candy?) and one little serving of goldfish...the only thing he wanted to open were the goldfish. This is bad news at Halloween, where I probably gained 5 pounds eating the candy he wasn't interested in! He does like lollipops and smarties...but he will eat part of it and then hand me the sticky remnants "I am all done"....it is hilarious. Considering my own sweet-tooth, I can't believe we share the same DNA!

Gunner surprises me in many ways actually...I used to think he was shy, now he is the first one to talk to everyone and introduce himself. At Michael's party he would say "excuse me" whenever I started to talk to a Mom he hadn't met..."I am Gunner, nice to meet you". I thought being so good natured was pretty impressive for a party at 6:00 on a weeknight (I can't really imagine what they were thinking with that one)...there wasn't even a tantrum when it was time to go (probably because even he wanted to go to bed at that point).

Anyway, that was my random post! Now if anyone has any ideas how I can get Hudson to eat some fruit...or use the spoon instead of picking up his sweet potatoes with his hands, just let me know!

4 comments:

Holley said...

Carrie that is SO wonderful the eating habits you have instilled in Gunner and hopefully Hudson. :) That is a high priority in our house too. No fast food, no french fries and candy as a special treat... Now don't get me wrong Grant will gobble down his cake or special treat like he has never eaten before! I also know it can be embarrassing when you hear some of your well thought out lessons told to a complete stranger. Such as when we were in a restaurant the other day and Grant said in a too loud of voice while pointing to another diner "Look Mommy she is eating yucky french fries so she is going to get sick." Ummm soo sorry Maam!

Tracy said...

If you find a way to get Hudson to eat fruit, then you have to share it with me so I can convince my boys to eat their vegetables. Strawberries are one of the favorites around here. And Zach can't get enough pineapple and mandrian oranges. It's so wonderful that Gunner wants your muffins over a cupcake! WOW! You must share that recipe, please :) I was also surprised at how outgoing and vocal Gunner was when you guys were up here. He used to be the shy little guy at the playgroups, but now he's enjoying being the star of the show. And he does SHINE :) He's so sweet!!! Keep up the great work!

Amber said...

I forgot to comment on this! I agree with Holley, what a wonderful job you have done with instilling good eating habits in your children!

Great job, Carrie! I know it's not always the easiest thing to do in this processed food world.

Boagie (Janice) said...

Wow, what a sweet little gentleman, introducing himself....if all kids were that polite. You have raised both boys very well. (You are a good mommy.)So glad your kids eat healthy, I see a lot of heavy children here in the midwest. About the fruit, have you tried making it sour by adding a few drops of lemon? ( You know like adding ketchup )Couldn't hurt and then if eaten just add less and less drops till it is back to the all natural fruit. Good luck and let me know if you try this.