Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My little climber

Ever since Hudson has started walking I have come to understand that not all kids are as cautious as Gunner was / is...Hudson is my climber. It started innocent enough, he got in the children's chair to play w/ Gunner's Diego rescue center....


...then he realized he could get into the dining chairs....




The other day I was pushing Gunner on the swings and Hudson was playing behind me with a dump truck and a hula hoop (I love how little kids make up their own games by the way). Then I hear Gunner say "look Mommy, Hudson is going to go down the slide" and I turn back around to find him 1/2 way up the ladder to the slide. I run over and he scrambles the rest of the way up, laughing hysterically at me frantically diving after him. I am imagining the interview w/ social services when I have to take him to the emergency room w/ a concussion...."I only took my eyes off of him for a minute..."

Yesterday we hit the point of no return, I go to the bathroom and leave them playing in the playroom (for goodness sakes I have to pee sometime!) and I come back out to find.....

Yes, he has now figured out how to get up on the dining room table. To make matters worse, if I leave him out of my sight for literally 1 minute he will run full speed to climb up on the table ...if I am unloading the dishwasher or going to the bathroom or loading laundry, the first place I check for him when I turn around or come rushing back, is the top of the dining room table...and no matter how mad I act, he immediately starts laughing hysterically when he sees me. Nice to be taken seriously by your children...I guess it doesn't help that I have to stop myself from laughing in return or that I am taking his picture up there...ok, so maybe I am sending the wrong message!

Well, at least if he gets in trouble Spiderman Gunner can save him (note the return of Gunner's costume obsession!).

5 comments:

Holley said...

How can you not laugh with expressions like those! Adorable, in a I am naughty aren't I Mom, sort of way...

Amber said...

I agree with Holley! He looks so sure of himself in all of those pictures! I feel for you, both of my kids were climbers. In Tate's bedroom he has low window sills and one time when Holley and I came home from a day out he was standing in the window (he was plastered against the window really), wearing only underwear watching us. We couldn't help but laugh out loud! You have a lot of adventures ahead!

Tracy said...

Why does it seem that the second children are the more adventurous ones? Zach is a climber too! I guess you'll have to try Steph's trick and turn your chairs on their sides. (Loved how you said Spiderman Gunner could save him!)

Boagie (Janice) said...

They learn so much from watching that older sibling. No wonder younger mothers get gray hairs faster than the older generations. I did notice Gunner's costume before I finished reading and thought the very same thing.

Steph said...

Luke is a climber too! I know what you mean about not being able to leave them alone for a minute. What's worse now is that he's gotten alot quicker so I really have to be on my toes...