Monday, September 29, 2008

My little Super Hero



A couple of weeks ago (I just got the pics loaded in, so you are getting this story late), My Mom got Gunner a "Super Why" costume to wear for Halloween. She made the mistake of asking him to try it on so she could hem it...he then (naturally) refused to take it off and wanted to wear it all the time.

After taking it on and off a few times, it started to get a hole in it (kids Halloween costumes are not made for wear and tear). I told him we had to send it out for repairs, and it would be back for Halloween. Needless to say, this did not go over so well....so in the midst of the tears and whining, I made the dumb promise only a Mother trying to appease her preschooler would make "I will go buy you another super hero costume while you are at school today". So there I am, in the middle of a Nor'easter (really bad rain storm for you west coast folk), searching through K-mart for a 4T superhero costume with a mask (HAD to have a mask) before most of the costumes had even been put out. I was able to find a 5T Spiderman costume, after much frantic digging through overstuffed racks, so I settled for that.

Luckily, after the initial disappointment of not having another "Super Why" costume waiting for him after school; and me telling him how incredibly cool Spiderman is (he had no idea who Spiderman was), he tried it on.
Well, for the next week he wore that thing EVERYWHERE, I had to tell him that the school would kick him out if he wore it there,in order to get him to put on his regular clothes to go to school. However, I had to have it ready for him to put on as soon as he got home from school. When I picked him up from preschool, he would not say hi; the first thing out of his mouth was "we go to the new house and put on my Spiderman costume, THEN we can....(do whatever we had planned that afternoon)". I had to wash it every night after he went to sleep (after explaining the first night, amidst tears, that he could not put the dirty thing back on again after his bath and sleep in it). I had to endure "Hi Spiderman, don't scale the walls" from every person at the mall, supermarket, park and drugstore that week...but he was happier than could be. This is a pic of him on the way to the grocery store, in the rain.

I LOVE that he had to wear it with his green crocs and insisted on carrying around my pink umbrella on the day it rained (I have tried getting him to use another umbrella, but he will only use my pink one w/ white polka dots. I told him it was lost one day and he informed me that "Mommy has to find it, I can't use the black umbrella"...maybe he picked up something from Mikie when he was here!). I find this all hysterical, because he is totally not the kid that cares what he wears, he never shows interest in picking his clothes. I swear, it started with those crocs, they were the first thing he owned that he insisted on wearing all the time and now who knows what's next!
Anyway, on a final note, I got a cool idea from another Mom...after Halloween I am going to buy up some marked down costumes and put them in a trunk for him for X-mas...although this will probably mean I will be going to the mall with a pirate, superman and a cowboy in the new year, I thought it was a brilliant idea!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

:) HE HE HE :) A pink umbrella...I love it! I always wondered what the stories were behind those kids you see in halloween costumes at the mall. You would think they'd get hot in those things! I sorta wish Mikie was a little more willing to dress up like Gunner and Calvin. I already know there is going to be a tantrum when I tell him he has to wear his costume to get candy. It's a great idea to buy more after Halloween.

Amber said...

I think that is quite hilarious also!! We're you rolling your eyes at just about everyone that day with the continual comments?

Thanks for the ideas on the going green, we have been changing our light bulbs over and I so want one of those water heaters!! I am going to seriously look at getting one of those when our current one gives out.

Steph said...

That is absolutely hilarious! So nice to hear of another little boy going through a dress-up stage. Calvin is going to be Batman for Halloween and we have the costume already (like yours, it also has a few tears). He wore it several days in a row after we got it, but I have managed to hide it in the closet and it hasn't come up for awhile. I'm still chuckling about the picture with the costume, crocs, and umbrella. Too funny!

Boagie (Janice) said...

I love the idea of another little boy liking pink. I'm glad your a cool mother and let your son wear his costume in public (even with all the public's comments) At least you don't have to fight with him to get dressed up for Halloween.